Office of Legal Affairs
Under-Secretary-General for Legal Affairs and the
Legal Counsel of the United Nations: Ms. Patricia O'Brien
Vacancies and Internships
The OLA vacancies are managed by the United Nations Office for Human Resources Management (UN OHRM). For more information on available vacancies and procedures to follow please visit Inspira, the UN's e-staffing system website.
The United Nations Office of Legal Affairs (OLA) offers an internship programme to individuals who have obtained a first university degree and who have completed at least one year of a university degree course in law. Admission to the OLA internship programme is highly competitive. The United Nations is unable to provide any financial assistance or remuneration to interns, and service as an intern must entail no financial implications for the United Nations.
Interns are normally requested to undertake tasks
in connection with the ongoing projects under the supervision of
a legal officer of the respective Section/Division of the Office of
Legal Affairs. In determining the area and substance of the intern's
work, due consideration is given to the nature of the projects currently
being undertaken in that area and of the purpose of the internship
as expressed by the sponsoring institution or the intern. The programme has a minimum duration
of two months.
Procedural requirements-please visit the United
Nations Internship website
- First level university degree, either in law or in another subject.
- Completed at least one year of a university degree course in law.
- Students have to be enrolled in a graduate, PhD or 5th year of a degree programme during the entire duration of the internship.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English; working knowledge of other UN languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) are welcome.
- Computer skills, including familiarity with applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Internet research. Familiarity with HTML and electronic document management an asset.
For more information, please visit Inspira, the UN careers website at http://careers.un.org
United Nations Internship Programme Administrative Instruction ST/AI/2000/9
Administrative Instruction amending the above Administrative Instruction ST/AI/2005/11